I guess if I had thought about it, I should not have been so surprised that Germany was once a country ruled by nobility, with Kings, Knights and the whole lot of characters involved with that life.On our car trip from Koblenz to Nurenberg Germany, one of Kenton's contacts suggested that we drive the scenic route. Here are a few of the 22 Castles that we came upon!



Germany was a pleasant surprise, very surprised at the beauty, away from the big cities all is green and abounding with vegetation of all sorts. The people are familiar looking , but to be honest, everyone in all of the countries we have visited have looked like they could be an American! Another pleasant surprise was that even in places where there is little space between homes we would see an area that co-op gardens where being grown. These little gardens would be lining the railway or highways, small long plots that were divided up with all sorts of plants being grown.
Here is a picture of a common German village. The second photo is a photo of what will be one of the most unforgetable church visits we made here.
This is a beautiful cathedral that we when we had spotted for a bit and to watch the German football game. We saw groups of people entering the building and Kenton, wanting to see a church service, suggested that we go inside. WOW what a surprising treat. The people entering were members of the 100 voice choir who were practicing incredible 20th century music. This was the first time that Kenton has heard a choir preform in an old european cathedral and the unspeakable sounds that can be heard only in that setting. For those of you who have heard this know what I mean when I say that unseen choir members seemed to be standing to be in every corner of that building.For years, when our kids were acting up, goofing off and being silly, we would call them "Ratskellers". I do not know where we came up with that name, I do not remember hearing it by any others but...... Kenton and I were looking for a place to eat dinner and watch the Germany football game. We came upon a resturant with the following name.
Wow- I love Germany. Glad you had such a great experience there. I can't wait to go back someday.
ReplyDeleteit is so amazing to me that a place with such beautiful churches have so little true religion.
ReplyDeleteyou ratskellar! :) ahaha thats so funny. :) i love seeing the really awesome castles and stuff. all these pictures totally remind me of tour BOTH years. the cathedral picture you have is so cool, and all the pictures of the castles remind me of tour junior year in portugal and spain.
ReplyDeleteI luff dis club! I will see you guys out there soon.
ReplyDelete