I meant to go to the store on Thursday night, but I couldn't make it. I ended up going on Friday morning at 7 am thinking no one else would be there. WRONG!! I had to wait in a checkout line for about 30 minutes and the shelves were totally depleted.
I had a responsibility at school on Friday, but I was able to get out of DC around 5 pm and get back to Virginia before the whiteout. I holed up and waited for the snow to pass! While I got some reading done, it is really hard to do anything when the world is ending by snow right outside your window, you know?
After the 30+ hours of straight snow started to calm down, Ann and I decided to go and check out the damage.
Exhibit A: Ann's Car
Yeah, I dug her car out last night thinking that it wouldn't be as as much work the next day. WRONG AGAIN!!
Exhibit B: Dan's Car
Yeah, I dug part of my car out last night thinking that it wouldn't be as as much work the next day. WRONGGGGGG!!
Exhibit C: The entrance to Ann's Apartment Complex
That's not going to melt until May.
While we were out, Ann and I decided to venture about a half mile to see if the store was open. We got someone to take a nice picture of us sitting on the bench.
THERE WAS NO ONE AT THE STRIP MALL AT 6pm on Saturday night!! Only this 12 foot mountain of snow that was built by the bulldozers clearing the parking lot. Of course I am going to climb to the top. Ann and I just had a good cry together as we saw this video in its final form. Inspiring barely begins to describe it.
It was a great trip out and on our way back Ann and I walked through some pristine, knee-deep snow. I tackled her.
In the end, we survived the storm, had some great fun, and church was even canceled so I don't have to teach Elder's Quorum so I can fully concentrate on Super Bowl. On the downside, do I have to try and dig out some cars tomorrow. And the next one might be here before next week.
Check out a few more images of the storm below:
Dan
That video was inspiring! We are glad everyone is okay and surviving the storm. Looks like you will have a good snow pack for a few months. One question, why does everyone put their windshield wiper blades up?
ReplyDeleteThat was a tear jerker if I ever saw one! :) hahah, seriously tho that was realllly funny. And all those pictures you guys took are crazy, thats SO much snow. I dont even think I've seen that much snow everrr!
ReplyDeleteWell, I have often said I want to spend a week in a warm cabin/hotel with a fireplace and books to read and it snowing. But I may rethink that. But seriously Dan, the picture of the empty shelves in the store is a keeper and very useful throughout your church life in teaching preparedness. What a vivid example!
ReplyDeleteDan and Ann,
ReplyDeleteLooks like you made some great memories during the snowpocalyse, - fun times!